Re: New LLVM JIT Features - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: New LLVM JIT Features
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 8:39 AM Praveen Velliengiri
<praveenvelliengiri@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2019 12:51 AM, "preejackie" <praveenvelliengiri@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm Praveen Velliengiri, student from India. I'm working on developing a Speculative compilation support in LLVM ORC
JITInfrastructure.

>> As LLVM ORC supports compiling in multiple backend threads, it would be effective if we compile the functions
speculativelybefore they are called by the executing function. So when we request JIT to compile a function, JIT will
immediatelyreturns the function address for raw executable bits. This will greatly reduce the JIT latencies in modern
multi-coremachines. And also I'm working on designing a ORC in-place dynamic profiling support, by this JIT will
automaticallyable to identify the hot functions, and compile it in higher optimization level to achieve good
performance.

>> I'm proposing this project for GSoC 2019. It would be helpful to know how this new features are effective to pgsql
engine,so that I include your comments in "View from Clients" proposal section.

Hi Praveen,

FYI the final "commitfest" for PostgreSQL 12 is wrapping up right now
and the code freeze begins in a few days, so I wouldn't expect an
immediate reply.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com