Re: Add client connection check during the execution of the query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Add client connection check during the execution of the query
Date
Re: Add client connection check during the execution of the query  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:00 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we want to ship this in v14 we have to make a decision ASAP:
>
> 1.  Ship the POLLHUP patch (like v9) that only works reliably on
> Linux.  Maybe disable the feature completely on other OSes?
> 2.  Ship the patch that tries to read (like v7).  It should work on
> all systems, but it can be fooled by pipelined commands (though it can
> detect a pipelined 'X').
>
> Personally, I lean towards #2.

I changed my mind.  Let's commit the pleasingly simple Linux-only
feature for now, and extend to it to send some kind of no-op message
in a later release.  So this is the version I'd like to go with.
Objections?

I moved the GUC into tcop/postgres.c and tcop/tcopprot.h, because it
directly controls postgres.c's behaviour, not pqcomm.c's.  The latter
only contains the code to perform the check.

Attachment