Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 11:57, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 4:10 PM Mahendra Singh <mahi6run@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks. I will fix it in the next version patch.

> > While reviewing v35 patch set and doing testing, I found that if we disable leader participation, then we are
launching1 less parallel worker than total number of indexes. (I am using max_parallel_workers = 20,
max_parallel_maintenance_workers= 20)

> > For example: If table have 3 indexes and we gave 6 parallel vacuum degree(leader participation is disabled), then I
think,we should launch 3 parallel workers but we are launching 2 workers due to below check.
> > +       nworkers = lps->nindexes_parallel_bulkdel - 1;
> > +
> > +   /* Cap by the worker we computed at the beginning of parallel lazy vacuum */
> > +   nworkers = Min(nworkers, lps->pcxt->nworkers);
> >
> > Please let me know your thoughts for this.

Thanks!

> I think it is probably because this part of the code doesn't consider
> PARALLEL_VACUUM_DISABLE_LEADER_PARTICIPATION.  I think if we want we
> can change it but I am slightly nervous about the code complexity this
> will bring but maybe that is fine.

Right. I'll try to change so that.

Regards,

--