Re: Corruption during WAL replay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Corruption during WAL replay
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 at 09:00, Teja Mupparti <tejeswarm@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Andres and Kyotaro for the quick review.  I have fixed the typos and also included the critical section
(emulatedit with try-catch block since palloc()s are causing issues in the truncate code). This time I used git
format-patch.

I briefly looked at the latest patch but I'm not sure it's the right
thing here to use PG_TRY/PG_CATCH to report the PANIC error. For
example, with the following code you changed, we will always end up
with emitting a PANIC "failed to truncate the relation" regardless of
the actual cause of the error.

+   PG_CATCH();
+   {
+       ereport(PANIC, (errcode(ERRCODE_INTERNAL_ERROR),
+           errmsg("failed to truncate the relation")));
+   }
+   PG_END_TRY();

And the comments of RelationTruncate() mentions:

/*
 * We WAL-log the truncation before actually truncating, which means
 * trouble if the truncation fails. If we then crash, the WAL replay
 * likely isn't going to succeed in the truncation either, and cause a
 * PANIC. It's tempting to put a critical section here, but that cure
 * would be worse than the disease. It would turn a usually harmless
 * failure to truncate, that might spell trouble at WAL replay, into a
 * certain PANIC.
 */

As a second idea, I wonder if we can defer truncation until commit
time like smgrDoPendingDeletes mechanism. The sequence would be:

At RelationTruncate(),
1. WAL logging.
2. Remember buffers to be dropped.

At CommitTransaction(),
3. Revisit the remembered buffers to check if the buffer still has
table data that needs to be truncated.
4-a, If it has, we mark it as IO_IN_PROGRESS.
4-b, If it already has different table data, ignore it.
5, Truncate physical files.
6, Mark the buffer we marked at #4-a as invalid.

If an error occurs between #3 and #6 or in abort case, we revert all
IO_IN_PROGRESS flags on the buffers.

In the above idea, remembering all buffers having to-be-truncated
table at RelationTruncate(), we reduce the time for checking buffers
at the commit time. Since we acquire AccessExclusiveLock the number of
buffers having to-be-truncated table's data never increases. A
downside would be that since we can truncate multiple relations we
need to remember all buffers of each truncated relations, which is up
to (sizeof(int) * NBuffers) in total.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/