Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Xtra Coder <xtracoder@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my particular case I'm more interested in an easy way to create complex
> SELECTs that require usage of variables in the one-time through-away scripts
> (some-time during experiments for implementation of functions, to see
> immediate results of the intermediate code). The easiest way would be
> MsSQL-like when declaring a variable outside of SP actually makes it visible
> globally in current session. In such case I do not need 'DO' at all and this
> is simple. Probably PostgreSQL has another way to make that thing simple.

If you are just interested in avoiding some mistakes, and/or
parametrizing some queries from the command line, psql ( the CLI
program ) has macro expansion with some sql quoting capabilities, see
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-VARIABLES
and be sure to scroll down to "SQL Interpolation" after the built in
variables list and read that. I've used it several times, just
remember it's a macro processor and it's done by psql, not by the
server.

Francisco Olarte.