Re: Petition: Treat #!... shebangs as comments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: Petition: Treat #!... shebangs as comments
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Merlin:

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
....snip, snip....
>> Anyway, this is a little bit complex, as psql many times needs arguments.
> true, but pretty much everything you might need can be handled via the
> environment and the script itself.   there are plenty of good reasons
> do this and I can't think of any not to.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I would like it and use it, I use a lot of
she-bangs, even on linux which has the space-pasting behaviour, and I
would not have problems with the default args. The only problems I see
is more features, more places for bugs to hide, and a somehow
difficult to use feature which would lead to a lot of surprises for
the unexperienced. After all this years I still got puzzled for some
of the she-bang problems. I doubt anyone would have backwards
compatibility problems. I do not have cons, but I don't see that much
pros.

I would also point that in the many scripts I have running against
postgres, not a single one of them would benefit from these, all need
some heading, tailing, redirecting or whatevering intermixed with the
DB access, although I suppose some of the more db-oriented ones could
be redone to use this. But I ( personally ) would stick with doing
them in shell, one more system of tricky variable interpolations and
redirections would be too much for me.

Regards.

Francisco Olarte.