Re: [GENERAL] Re: Restoring tables with circular references dumped toseparate files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: Restoring tables with circular references dumped toseparate files
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 10:48 PM, doganmeh <mehmet@edgle.com> wrote:
> On another note, I used to take full backups (entire database), however
> switched to table by table scheme in order to make it more VCS friendly.
> Namely, so I only check into github the dumps of the tables that are updated
> only.
> So, from that perspective, is there a dump-restore scenario that is widely
> used, but is also VCS friendly? To my knowledge, pg_restore does not restore
> backups that are in "plain text" format, and compressed formats such as
> "tar" would not be github friendly.

Not widely used, but you have the directory format ( disclaimer: have
not tested it for VCS friendliness ). It populates a directory similar
to what uncompressing a tar format would, but I do not know if it
renames the files from run to run, but should be easy to test.

Also note it is documented as compressed BY DEFAULT, but you can use
options to avoid compression, and it is the only one which supports
paralell dumps.

Also, custom and tar can be made uncompressed, but I do not think
that's a great idea.

Francisco Olarte.