Dynamic multi dimensional arrays in SQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dane Foster
Subject Dynamic multi dimensional arrays in SQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I'm trying to dynamically construct a multi dimensional array where the outer most array's elements are binary arrays. My initial attempt was something to the effect of:
SELECT ARRAY(SELECT ARRAY[true::text,false::text] FROM generate_series(1,2));

My expectation is a result of the form: {{true,false},{true,false}}

But it doesn't work. I get the following error instead: "could not find array type for data type text[]".

The only way I've gotten it to work is to concatenate strings and explicitly cast the string to an array. It's ugly. I'm hoping the issue is that I'm doing something wrong and not that string concatenation or a procedural language are the only solutions.

Any insight into what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dane