Re: How to test SSL cert from CA? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to test SSL cert from CA?
Date
List pgsql-general
Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.net> writes:
> On 07/09/2015 03:07 PM, Vick Khera wrote:
>> openssl s_client -connect HOST:PORT -CAfile /path/to/CA.pem

> According to this post:
> http://serverfault.com/questions/79876/connecting-to-postgresql-with-ssl-using-openssl-s-client?rq=1
> one can not use openssl to test ssl connection to postgresql. True?

I should think you can't; it wouldn't know to send the initial packet
that asks the server to initiate SSL mode.

I found this in the man page for s_client mode:

       -starttls protocol
           send the protocol-specific message(s) to switch to TLS for
           communication.  protocol is a keyword for the intended protocol.
           Currently, the only supported keywords are "smtp", "pop3", "imap",
           and "ftp".

So they've certainly heard of such issues, and you could imagine adding
a "-starttls postgresql" variant, but it's not there now ... at least
not in the OpenSSL version that ships in RHEL6.

            regards, tom lane