Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing
Date
Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing  (Dmytrii Nagirniak <dnagir@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> He's probably doing automated continuous integration testing.  Two
> jobs ago we had a setup to do that and had 40k tests.  The whole test
> suite took about 30 minutes to runm and kicked off automatically when
> the last one finished and anyone touched any code.

Having lots of tests is a good thing. Bring 'em on.

If you use SQLite for that, then it all runs in a single thread and it
could easily take 30 minutes or longer.

Now all you have to do is parallelise the tests and everything can
work 10 times quicker and it would be much faster than the time SQLite
produced.

So using PostgreSQL for testing would be both quicker and more
accurate, if you set the tests up right.

The PostgreSQL regression tests are parallelised - if they weren't
we'd produce a lot less work