Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 18 March 2013 19:02, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 22:26 -0700, Daniel Farina wrote:
>> as long as I am able to turn them off easily
>
> To be clear: you don't get the performance back by doing
> "ignore_checksum_failure = on". You only get around the error itself,
> which allows you to dump/reload the good data.

Given that the worst pain point comes from setting hint bits during a
large SELECT, it makes sense to offer an option to simply skip hint
bit setting when we are reading data (SELECT, not
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE). That seems like a useful option even without
checksums. I know I have seen cases across many releases where setting
that would have been good, since it puts the cleanup back onto
VACUUM/writers, rather than occasional SELECTs.