Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 10:51 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Changing the defaults to go back down strikes me as an entirely wrong
> approach after we've had a release with the higher defaults without
> seriously compelling arguments against, and I don't agree that we've had
> such a case made here.  If this discussion had happened before v10 was
> released, I'd be much more open to going with the suggestion of '5', but
> forcing users to update their configs for working environments because
> we've decided that the default of 10 was too high is just pedantry, in
> my opinion.

+1.  I don't see any real downside of increasing the minimum value of
max_connections to 20.  I wasn't particularly a fan of raising
max_wal_senders to 10, but a lot of other people were, and so far
nobody's reported any problems related to that setting (that I know
about).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company