Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 10:51 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Changing the defaults to go back down strikes me as an entirely wrong
>> approach after we've had a release with the higher defaults without
>> seriously compelling arguments against, and I don't agree that we've had
>> such a case made here.

> +1.  I don't see any real downside of increasing the minimum value of
> max_connections to 20.  I wasn't particularly a fan of raising
> max_wal_senders to 10, but a lot of other people were, and so far
> nobody's reported any problems related to that setting (that I know
> about).

OK, seems like I'm on the short end of that vote.  I propose to push the
GUC-crosschecking patch I posted yesterday, but not the default-value
change, and instead push Kyotaro-san's initdb change.  Should we back-patch
these things to v10 where the problem appeared?