Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes
Date
Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr
<oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > [ new patch ]
>>
>> +         case '-':
>> +             ereport(ERROR,
>> +                     (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
>> +                      errmsg("size cannot be negative")));
>>
>> Why not?  I bet if you copy any - sign to the buffer, this will Just Work.
>

> I'm also inclined on dropping that explicit check for empty string below and
> let numeric_in() error out on that.  Does this look OK, or can it confuse
> someone:
>
> postgres=# select pg_size_bytes('');
> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: ""

I think that's a pretty bad error message.  I mean, the user is
calling a function that takes text as an input data type.  So, where's
numeric involved?

I'm also kind of wondering what the intended use case for this
function is.  Why do we want it?  Do we want it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company