Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 11:29 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I confess to not having paid very close attention to this thread
> lately, but the last I'd noticed the terminology proposed for
> internal use was "bare column label", which I think is much better.

I agree.

> As for what to expose in pg_get_keywords, I think something like
> "label_requires_as bool" would be immediately understandable.
> If you really want it to be an enum sort of thing, maybe the output
> column title could be "collabel" with values "bare" or "requires_AS".

It's sort of possible to be confused by "label requires as" since "as"
is being used as a known but isn't really one generally speaking, but
we can't very well quote it so I don't know how to make it more clear.

> So I'm thinking about making these changes in gram.y:
>
> ImplicitAlias -> BareColLabel
> implicit_alias_keyword -> bare_label_keyword
>
> and corresponding terminology changes elsewhere.

+1.

Thanks for picking this up; I am pretty excited about this.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company