Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 11:29 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> As for what to expose in pg_get_keywords, I think something like
>> "label_requires_as bool" would be immediately understandable.
>> If you really want it to be an enum sort of thing, maybe the output
>> column title could be "collabel" with values "bare" or "requires_AS".

> It's sort of possible to be confused by "label requires as" since "as"
> is being used as a known but isn't really one generally speaking, but
> we can't very well quote it so I don't know how to make it more clear.

After re-reading the description of pg_get_keywords, I was reminded that
what it outputs now is intended to provide both a machine-friendly
description of the keyword category ("catcode") and a human-friendly
description ("catdesc").  So we really should do likewise for the
label property.  What I now propose is to add two output columns:

barelabel bool  (t or f, obviously)
baredesc text   ("can be bare label" or "requires AS", possibly localized)

Feel free to bikeshed on those details.