Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 3:38 AM Jeevan Chalke
<jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> I am still not sure why we need SEND_BACKUP_FILELIST as a separate command.
> Can't we return the file list with START_BACKUP itself?

I had the same thought, but I think it's better to keep them separate.
Somebody might want to use the SEND_BACKUP_FILELIST command for
something other than a backup (I actually think it should be called
just SEND_FILE_LIST). Somebody might want to start a backup without
getting a file list because they're going to copy the files at the FS
level. Somebody might want to get a list of files to process after
somebody else has started the backup on another connection. Or maybe
nobody wants to do any of those things, but it doesn't seem to cost us
much of anything to split the commands, so I think we should.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company