Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 7:10 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> All of the underlying errors are cases that were clearly intended to
> catch user error -- every single one. But apparently pg_amcheck is
> incapable of error, by definition. Like HAL 9000.

After some thought, I agree with the idea that pg_amcheck ought to
skip relations that can't be expected to be valid -- which includes
both unlogged relations while in recovery, and also invalid indexes
left behind by failed index builds. Otherwise it can only find
non-problems, which we don't want to do.

But this comment seems like mockery to me, and I don't like that.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com