Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Date
Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 6:12 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I think the idea of it being a generic tunable for assorted behavior
> changes, rather than specific to WAL recycling, is a good one.  I'm
> unsure about your proposed name -- maybe "wal_cow_filesystem" is better?

I *really* dislike this.  For one thing, it means that users don't
have control over the behaviors individually.  For another, the
documentation is now quite imprecise about what the option actually
does, while expecting users to figure out whether those behaviors are
acceptable or preferable in their environment.  It lists recycling of
WAL files and zero-filling of those files as examples of behavior
changes, but it does not say that those are the only changes, or even
that they are made in all cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company