Re: logical replication launcher crash on buildfarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: logical replication launcher crash on buildfarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Btw now that I look at the code, I guess we'll want to get rid of
>> bgw_main completely in HEAD given that we can't guarantee it will be
>> valid even for shared_preload_library libraries. For older branches I
>> would leave things as they are in this regard as there don't seem to be
>> any immediate issue for standard binaries.
>
> As long as you fix it so culicidae is happy (in 9.6) ;).  I think it's
> fine to just introduce bgw_builtin_id or such, and leave the bgw_main
> code in place in < HEAD.

I wasn't thinking of introducing bgw_builtin_id.  My idea was just
along the lines of

if (bgw_library_name == NULL && bgw_function_name != NULL)
{   if (strcmp(bgw_function_name, "ParallelQueryMain") == 0)      ParallelQueryMain(blah);   else if
(strcmp(bgw_function_name,"LogicalReplicationMain") == 0)      LogicalReplicationMain(blah);

}

I think something like that is certainly better for the back-branches,
because it doesn't cause an ABI break.  But I think it would also be
fine for master.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company