Re: logical decoding of two-phase transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-03-28 03:30:28 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> >> But why is that deadlock? Seems as just lock.
> >
> > If you actually need separate decoding of 2PC, then you want to wait for
> > the PREPARE to be replicated.  If that replication has to wait for the
> > to-be-replicated prepared transaction to commit prepared, and commit
> > prepare will only happen once replication happened...
>
> Surely that's up to the decoding plugin?

It can't do much about it, so not really.  A lot of the functions
dealing with datatypes (temporarily) lock relations.  Both the actual
user tables, and system catalog tables (cache lookups...).

> If the plugin takes locks it had better make sure it can get the locks
> or timeout. But that's true of any resource the plugin needs access to
> and can't obtain when needed.

> This issue could occur now if the transaction tool a session lock on a
> catalog table.

That's not a self deadlock, and we don't don't do session locks outside
of operations like CIC?

Greetings,

Andres Freund