Re: redundant check of msg in does_not_exist_skipping - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: redundant check of msg in does_not_exist_skipping
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 10:56 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> This is a completely bad idea.  If it takes that level of analysis
> to see that msg can't be null, we should leave the test in place.
> Any future modification of either this code or what it calls could
> break the conclusion.

+1. Also, even if the check were quite obviously useless, it's cheap
insurance. It's difficult to believe that it hurts performance in any
measurable way. If anything, we would benefit from having more sanity
checks in our code, rather than fewer.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com