Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I personally am not quite convinced about that, for the reason I tried
> to explain in my previous messages. I see it as a poor alternative to
> compression built into the data type. I do like the idea of compression
> with external dictionary, however.

I think that compression built into the datatype and what is proposed
here are both useful and everybody's free to work on either one as the
prefer, so I don't see that as a reason not to accept this patch.  And
I think this patch can be a stepping stone toward compression with an
external dictionary, so that seems like an affirmative reason to
accept this patch.

> But don't forget that it's not me in this thread - it's my evil twin,
> moonlighting as Mr. Devil's lawyer ;-)

Well, I don't mind you objecting to the patch under any persona, but
so far I'm not finding your reasons convincing...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company