Re: hstore extension version screwup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: hstore extension version screwup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
> On 9/29/13 9:41 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> Git doesn't support setting file permissions other than the executable
>>> bit, so this is a nonstarter.
>>>

>> Oh, didn't know that, I've certainly know other SCM systems that do.
>

> We could potentially do it with git commit hooks, but the problem is that
> there's no way to force use of those on clients (a huge deficiency in git,
> imho).
>
> The best alternative I've been able to come up with is having hooks in a
> standard location in the repo and then there's one file that people would
> need to put into their home directory (under ~/.git I think) that would pull
> all of that stuff in.

ISTM that what we need here is less a git-hook and more of a
regression test, so that if you do the wrong thing, the buildfarm
turns exciting colors.  I'm not sure exactly how to write a regression
test for this, but I bet we can dream up something...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company