Re: split builtins.h to quote.h - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: split builtins.h to quote.h
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> I personally think that's getting our priorities backwards, but
>> there's clearly a spectrum in terms of how much people care about the
>> cost of partial compiles, and I'm clearly all the way on one end of
>> it.  I don't like having to think hard about where a function
>> prototype is or should be, and getting more consistency there would,
>> for me, outweigh all other considerations.
>
> fmgr.h is a nasty header which would do well to avoid including in other
> headers as much as possible; it makes compilation in frontend
> environment impossible.  For headers that don't otherwise need fmgr.h,
> my preference is to keep the SQL-callable declarations in builtins.h or
> some other dedicated header.

Well, there's something to that argument.  I can live with whatever
you decide to do here, but given my druthers, the prototypes for
src/backend/X/Y/Z.c would all be in src/include/X/Z.h.  If that means
shuffling some code around, I'd rather do that than have the
prototypes in strange places.  But if I get outvoted, oh well.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company