Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> I would like more opinions on the multipass_warning message. I can
> write a patch that creates a new system view, detailing how sort were
> completed, if there is demand.

I think a warning message is a terrible idea, and a system view is a
needless complication.  If the patch is as fast or faster than what we
have now in all cases, then we should adopt it (assuming it's also
correct and well-commented and all that other good stuff).  If it's
not, then we need to analyze the cases where it's slower and decide
whether they are significant enough to care about.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company