Re: index paths and enable_indexscan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: index paths and enable_indexscan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 10:21 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Awhile back I'd looked into getting rid of disable_cost altogether
> by dint of not generating disabled paths.  It's harder than it
> sounds.  We could perhaps change this particular case, but it's
> not clear that there's any real benefit of making this one change
> in isolation.

I like the idea and have had the same thought before. I wondered
whether we could arrange to generate paths for a rel and then if we
end up with no paths, do it again ignoring the disable flags. It
didn't seem entirely easy to rearrange things to work that way,
though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company