Re: Fixes for compression options of pg_receivewal and refactoring of backup_compression.{c,h} - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Fixes for compression options of pg_receivewal and refactoring of backup_compression.{c,h}
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 2:52 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> Since babbbb5 and the introduction of LZ4, I have reworked the way
> compression is controlled for pg_receivewal, with two options:
> - --compress-method, settable to "gzip", "none" or "lz4".
> - --compress, to pass down a compression level, where the allowed
> range is 1-9.  If passing down 0, we'd get an error rather than
> implying no compression, contrary to what we did in ~14.
>
> I initially thought that this was fine as-is, but then Robert and
> others have worked on client/server compression for pg_basebackup,
> introducing a much better design with centralized APIs where one can
> use METHOD:DETAIL for as compression value, where DETAIL is a
> comma-separated list of keyword=value (keyword = "level" or
> "workers"), with centralized checks and an extensible design.
>
> This is something I think we had better fix before beta1, because now
> we have binaries that use an inconsistent set of options.  So,
> attached is a patch set aimed at rework this option set from the
> ground, taking advantage of the recent work done by Robert and others
> for pg_basebackup:

+1 for this in general, but I think that naming like
"compression_algo" stinks. If you think "compression_algorithm" is too
long, I think you should use "algorithm" or "compression" or
"compression_method" or something.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com