Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The more important thing here is that I see little chance of this
> getting in before Heikki's larger rework of the wal format gets
> in. Since that'll change everything around anyay I'm unsure how much
> point there is to iterate till that's done. I know that sucks, but I
> don't see much of an alternative.

Why not do this first?  Heikki's patch seems quite far from being
ready to commit at this point - it significantly increases WAL volume
and reduces performance.  Heikki may well be able to fix that, but I
don't know that it's a good idea to make everyone else wait while he
does.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company