Re: fix and document CLUSTER privileges - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: fix and document CLUSTER privileges
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 1:13 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 07:20:28AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > We should probably talk about what the privileges should be, though. I
> > think there's a case to be made that CLUSTER should be governed by the
> > VACUUM privileges, given how VACUUM FULL is now implemented.
>
> Currently, CLUSTER, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and REINDEX (minus REINDEX
> SCHEMA|DATABASE|SYSTEM) require ownership of the relation or superuser.  In
> fact, all three use the same RangeVarCallbackOwnsTable() callback function.
> My current thinking is that this is good enough.  I don't sense any strong
> demand for allowing database owners to run these commands on all non-shared
> relations, and there's ongoing work to break out the privileges to GRANT
> and predefined roles.

+1.

I don't see why being the database owner should give you the right to
run a random subset of commands on any table in the database. Tables
have their own system for access privileges; we should use that, or
extend it as required.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com