Re: fix and document CLUSTER privileges - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: fix and document CLUSTER privileges
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 07:20:28AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> We should probably talk about what the privileges should be, though. I
> think there's a case to be made that CLUSTER should be governed by the
> VACUUM privileges, given how VACUUM FULL is now implemented.

Currently, CLUSTER, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and REINDEX (minus REINDEX
SCHEMA|DATABASE|SYSTEM) require ownership of the relation or superuser.  In
fact, all three use the same RangeVarCallbackOwnsTable() callback function.
My current thinking is that this is good enough.  I don't sense any strong
demand for allowing database owners to run these commands on all non-shared
relations, and there's ongoing work to break out the privileges to GRANT
and predefined roles.  However, I don't have a strong opinion about this.

If we do want to change the permissions model for CLUSTER, it might make
sense to change all three of the aforementioned commands to look more like
VACUUM/ANALYZE.

--
Nathan Bossart