Re: Patch: show xid and xmin in pg_stat_activity and pg_stat_replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Patch: show xid and xmin in pg_stat_activity and pg_stat_replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Christian Kruse
<christian@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> attached you will find a patch for showing the current transaction id
> (xid) and the xmin of a backend in pg_stat_activty and the xmin in
> pg_stat_replication.
>
> This may be helpful when looking for the cause of bloat.
>
> I added two new struct members in PgBackendStatus which get filled in
> pgstat_read_current_status() and slightly modified the catalog schema
> and the pg_stat_get_activity() procedure.
>
> I'm not sure if it is a good idea to gather the data in
> pgstat_read_current_status(), but I chose to do it this way
> nonetheless because otherwise I would have to create collector
> functions like pgstat_report_xid_assignment() /
> pgstat_report_xmin_changed() (accordingly to
> pgstat_report_xact_timestamp()) which may result in a performance hit.

Please add your patch here so we don't lose track of it:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company