Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful
Date
Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful  ("Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn@amazon.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 12:33 PM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I think my note was not very clear.  I agree that a flag should
> be used for this purpose, but I think we should just use a regular
> bool protected by a spinlock or LWLock instead of an atomic.  The file
> atomics.h has the following note:
>
>  * Use higher level functionality (lwlocks, spinlocks, heavyweight locks)
>  * whenever possible. Writing correct code using these facilities is hard.
>
> IOW I don't think the extra complexity is necessary.  From a
> performance standpoint, contention seems unlikely.  We only need to
> read the flag roughly once per WAL segment, and we only ever set it in
> uncommon scenarios such as a timeline switch or the creation of an
> out-of-order .ready file.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think that I was probably the
one who suggested to Dipesh that he should look into using atomics,
although I can't quite remember right now why I thought we might want
to do that.

I do not on general principle very much like code that does
LWLockAcquire(whatever);
exactly-one-assignment-statement-that-modifies-a-1-2-or-4-byte-quantity;
LWLockRelease(whatever). If you had two assignments in there, then you
know why you have a lock: it's to make those behave as an atomic,
indivisible unit. But when you only have one, what are you protecting
against? You're certainly not making anything atomic that would not
have been anyway, so you must be using the LWLock as a memory barrier.
But then you really kind of have to think about memory barriers
anyway: why do you need one at all, and what things need to be
separated? It's not clear that spelling pg_memory_barrier() as
LWLockAcquire() and/or LWLockRelease() is actually saving you anything
in terms of notional complexity.

In this patch, it appears to me that the atomic flag is only ever
being read unlocked, so I think that we're actually getting no benefit
at all from the use of pg_atomic_flag here. We're not making anything
atomic, because there's only one bit of shared state, and we're not
getting any memory barrier semantics, because it looks to me like the
flag is only ever tested using pg_atomic_unlocked_test_flag, which is
documented not to have barrier semantics. So as far as I can see,
there's no point in using either an LWLock or atomics here. We could
just use bool with no lock and the code would do exactly what it does
now. So I guess the question is whether that's correct or whether we
need some kind of synchronization and, if so, of what sort.

I can't actually see that there's any kind of hard synchronization
requirement here at all. What we're trying to do is guarantee that if
the timeline changes, we'll pick up the timeline history for the new
timeline next, and that if files are archived out of order, we'll
switch to archiving the oldest file that is now present rather than
continuing with consecutive files. But suppose we just use an
unsynchronized bool. The worst case is that we'll archive one extra
file proceeding in order before we jump to the file that we were
supposed to archive next. It's not evident to me that this is all that
bad. The same thing would have happened if the previous file had been
archived slightly faster than it actually was, so that we began
archiving the next file just before, rather than just after, the
notification was sent. And if it is bad, wrapping an LWLock around the
accesses to the flag variable, or using an atomic, does nothing to
stop it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com