Re: The Free Space Map: Problems and Opportunities - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: The Free Space Map: Problems and Opportunities
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 05:15:36PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to have a local cache for a shared resource --
> that's the problem. You actually need some kind of basic locking or
> lease system, so that 10 backends don't all decide at the same time
> that one particular heap block is fully empty, and therefore a good
> target block for that backend alone. It's as if the backends believe
> that they're special little snowflakes, and that no other backend
> could possibly be thinking the same thing at the same time about the
> same heap page. And so when TPC-C does its initial bulk insert,
> distinct orders are already shuffled together in a hodge-podge, just
> because concurrent bulk inserters all insert on the same heap pages.

OK, I am trying to think of something simple we could test to see the
benefit, with few downsides.  I assume the case you are considering is
that you have a 10 8k-page table, and one page is 80% full and the
others are 81% full, and if several backends start adding rows at the
same time, they will all choose the 80%-full page.

What if we change how we select pages with this:

1.  find the page with the most free space
2.  find all pages with up to 10% less free space than page #1
3.  count the number of pages in #2
4.  compute the proc_id modulus step #3 and use that page's offset from
    step #2

For example:

1.  page with most freespace is 95% free
2.  pages 2,4,6,8,10 have between 86%-95% free
3.  five pages
4.  proc id 14293 % 5 = 3 so use the third page from #2, page 6

This should spread out page usage to be more even, but still favor pages
with more freespace.  Yes, this is simplistic, but it would seem to have
few downsides and I would be interested to see how much it helps.