Re: Add CREATE support to event triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Add CREATE support to event triggers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Then again, why is the behavior of schema-qualifying absolutely
>> everything even desirable?
>
> Well, someone could create a collation in another schema with the same
> name as a system collation and the command would become ambiguous.  For
> example, this command
>   create table f (a text collate "POSIX");
> creates a column whose collation is either public."POSIX" or the system
> POSIX collation, depending on whether public appears before pg_catalog
> in search_path.  Having someone create a POSIX collation in a schema
> that appears earlier than pg_catalog is pretty far-fetched, but ISTM
> that we really need to cover that scenario.

Hmm, good point.  I guess we don't worry much about this with pg_dump
because we assume that we're restoring into an empty database (and if
not, the user gets to keep both pieces).  You're applying a higher
standard here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company