Re: Add CREATE support to event triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add CREATE support to event triggers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> Then again, why is the behavior of schema-qualifying absolutely
>>> everything even desirable?

>> Well, someone could create a collation in another schema with the same
>> name as a system collation and the command would become ambiguous.

> Hmm, good point.  I guess we don't worry much about this with pg_dump
> because we assume that we're restoring into an empty database (and if
> not, the user gets to keep both pieces).  You're applying a higher
> standard here.

Robert, that's just horsepucky.  pg_dump is very careful about schemas.
It's also careful to not schema-qualify names unnecessarily, which is an
intentional tradeoff to improve readability of the dump --- at the cost
that the dump might break if restored into a nonempty database with
conflicting objects.  In the case of data passed to event triggers,
there's a different tradeoff to be made: people will probably value
consistency over readability, so always-qualify is probably the right
choice here.  But in neither case are we being sloppy.