Re: replay pause vs. standby promotion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: replay pause vs. standby promotion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:36 AM Fujii Masao
<masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> If we would like to have the promotion method to finish recovery
> immediately, IMO we should implement something like
> "pg_ctl promote -m fast". That is, we need to add new method into
> the promotion.

I think 'immediate' would be a better choice. One reason is that we've
used the term 'fast promotion' in the past for a different feature.
Another is that 'immediate' might sound slightly scary to people who
are familiar with what 'pg_ctl stop -mimmediate' does. And you want
people doing this to be just a little bit scared: not too scared, but
a little scared.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company