Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE} - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE}
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> If you're dead set on having an escape hatch, maybe we should just get
> over it and add a way of specifying a unique index by name. As I said,
> these under-served use cases are either exceedingly rare or entirely
> theoretical.

I'm decidedly unenthusiastic about that.  People don't expect CREATE
INDEX CONCURRENTLY + DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY to break their DML.  I
think the solution in this case would be a gateway to problems larger
than the one we're trying to solve.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company