Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 02/25/2014 10:50 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> ????
>>>
>>> Where did you get this out of my doc patch?
>>
>> Way to quote what I said out of context.
>
> Way to put words in my mouth.
>
>> But to make a long story short, I get that from the fact that you want
>> to railroad everyone into using jsonb.
>
> That's called a "straw man argument", Robert.
>
> Me: We should recommend that people use jsonb unless they have a
> specific reason for using json.
>
> Merlin: We should present them side-by-side with a complex comparison.
>
> Robert: Josh wants to junk all relational data and use only jsonb!
>
> I mean, really, WTF?

OK, since what I said seems to have become distorted somewhere along
the line, allow me to rephrase:

I don't agree that jsonb should be preferred in all but a handful of
situations.  Nor do I agree that partisanship belongs in our
documentation.  Therefore, -1 for your proposal to recommend that, and
+1 for Merlin's proposal to present a comparison which fairly
illustrates the situations in which each will outperform the other.

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company