Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs
Date
Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:27 AM Craig Ringer
<craig.ringer@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Frankly I think we really need a way to mark FKs to be DISABLED or NOT CHECKED or something and a way to mark them as
NOTVALID. Rsther than expecting uses to fiddle with the implementation triggers. But I don't think FKs on system
catalogsrequire that, it's just be cosmetic there.

Not really. I think the idea that users don't or shouldn't ever do
manual DDL on system catalogs is not very plausible, considering that
we suggest such steps in our own release notes.

I don't have any complaint about labelling some of the unique indexes
as primary keys, but I think installing foreign keys that don't really
enforce anything may lead to confusion.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com