Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft
Date
Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> The 9.6 features several significant changes and exciting enhancements
> including:

I suggest looking at this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL#Upcoming_features

> * Parallelism for certain queries (see max_parallel_degree)

Good.  The Wikipedia page phrases it more specifically as "Parallel
sequential scans, parallel joins and parallel aggregates" which is
maybe a bit more specific and perhaps better for that reason?

> * Increased logical decoding features

I don't see the logical decoding features as being of much interest
for general users, although maybe I'm wrong about that.

> * Full Text Search improvements

I think the main thing here is phrase search; maybe we should say that instead.

> * Join Pushdown for postgres-fdw

I think this could be a bit more general.  The Wikipedia page phrase
it as "Sort pushdown, join pushdown and DML (UPDATE/DELETE) pushdown
for postgres_fdw."  Sort pushdown is of less interest than join
pushdown, but DML pushdown seems like a big deal.

> * Enable pg_dump ACL support

I'm not entirely sure anyone will know what this is or why they should
care.  It might be worth mentioning if we can clarify that.

Also note we now have:

Extension cascade support to install dependencies
Cube extension kNN support
Command progress reporting for VACUUM
Detailed wait information in pg_stat_activity
Frozen page data in visibility map for skipping vacuum on already-frozen data
New remote_apply replication mode which waits for confirmation that a
standby has applied changes
Index-only scans for partial indexes
Support for multiple synchronous standbys
User-defined expiration of snapshots to control table bloat

I think there are a decent number of people for whom the frozen page
data in the visibility map will be a really big deal, even bigger than
parallel query.  And I think the combination of
synchronous_commit=remote_apply and multiple synchronous standbys is
also going to be really, really useful for anyone who wants to build a
robust read-scaling cluster around PostgreSQL.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company