Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning
Date
Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning  (amul sul <sulamul@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 6:57 AM, amul sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Collation is only relevant for ordering, not equality.  Since hash
>> opclasses provide only equality, not ordering, it's not relevant here.
>> I'm not sure whether we should error out if it's specified or just
>> silently ignore it.  Maybe an ERROR is a good idea?  But not sure.
>>
> IMHO, we could simply have a WARNING, and ignore collation, thoughts?
>
> Updated patches attached.

I think that WARNING is rarely a good compromise between ERROR and
nothing.  I think we should just decide whether this is legal (and
then allow it without a WARNING) or not legal (and then ERROR).
Telling the user that it's allowed but we don't like it doesn't really
help much.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company