Re: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM, Eric Grinstein
<ericgrinstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans for implementing query rewriting (i.e. allowing the
> optimizer to substitute materialized views for queries)
> in upcoming versions? I have recently seen this answer, saying that query
> rewriting could be achieved using the rules system, but
> I could not figure out how to. Could someone please give me some tips on how
> to do it? Is it possible to make a rule not to all SELECTs of a table but
> for a specific query? Or the trick is done with another approach?

I'm not really sure what Josh was talking about in that answer.  In
terms of doing this automatically, I doubt that's likely to happen
until we have a way to automatically update a materialized view when
the underlying data changes --- and Kevin Grittner has done a bunch of
work towards that, but more is needed to get us there.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company