Re: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views
Date
Re: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm not really sure what Josh was talking about in that answer.  In
> terms of doing this automatically, I doubt that's likely to happen
> until we have a way to automatically update a materialized view when
> the underlying data changes --- and Kevin Grittner has done a bunch of
> work towards that, but more is needed to get us there.

Even with auto maintenance, it seems unlikely that matviews would ever
be so transparent that it would be okay for the planner to automatically
substitute them into a query.  The data in a matview is going to be at
least a little bit stale, else You're Doing It Wrong.