Re: [HACKERS] contrib modules and relkind check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] contrib modules and relkind check
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. Shouldn't this fix be back-patched? pg_visibility should fail
> properly for indexes and other relkinds even in 9.6. pgstattuple can
> also trigger failures. It would be confusing for users to face "could
> not open file" kind of errors instead of a proper error message. Note
> that I am fine to produce those patches if there is a resource issue
> for any of you two.

I don't see a real need to back-patch this.  I mean, it probably
wouldn't break anything, but it feels more like we're raising our
standards than fixing bugs per se.  I don't think it benefits us when
users see the release notes for a new minor release series cluttered
with essentially non-critical fixes.  It makes people worry about
whether upgrading is safe.  You might brand those people as silly, but
they (indirectly) pay my mortgage.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company