Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 20, 2024 at 11:24 AM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> That's not a completely crazy idea, it crossed my mind too. And since we
> already decided to skip protocol number 3.1, how about we jump directly
> to 3.4. That way:
>
> protocol |
>   version | PQProtocolVersion()
>
>         2 | 2   (in old unsupported library versions)
>       3.0 | 3
>       3.4 | 4
>       3.5 | 5
>
> and so forth.
>
> This kind of assumes we'll never bump the major protocol version again.
> But if we do, we could jump to 40000 at that point.

I personally like this less than both (a) adding a new function and
(b) redefining the existing function as Jelte proposes. It just seems
too clever to me.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com