Re: regression test for extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: regression test for extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think it would be an interesting project for someone to try to
>> figure out how to make 'make check-extended-query-protocol' or similar
>> work.
>
> Seems like it would not be that hard to put some kind of option in psql
> to issue queries with PQexecParams not plain PQexec.

Yes, we did that.

> However, since
> that wouldn't exercise sending out-of-line parameters, it's not clear
> to me that it'd be a very interesting test.

Well, you exercise copyfuncs.c quite a bit more, if nothing else.

> I still suspect that doing this in core is mostly going to be duplicative
> effort, and we'd be better off making use of existing JDBC tests.

That's possible; I don't know much about the JDBC tests, so it's hard
for me to say how that would compare in terms of coverage to my
proposal.  Perhaps both things are worth doing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company