Re: Postgres service stops when I kill client backend on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Postgres service stops when I kill client backend on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:52 AM, Dmitry Vasilyev
<d.vasilyev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> I’ve started PostgreSQL server on Windows and then I kill client
> backend’s process by taskkill the service was stopped:
>
> postgres=# select pg_backend_pid();
>  pg_backend_pid
> ----------------
>            1976
>
> postgres=# \! taskkill /pid 1976 /f
> SUCCESS: The process with PID 1976 has been terminated.
> postgres=# select 1;
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> !>
>

> If I kill backend’s process on Linux then service not failing. So
> what’s the problem? Why PostgreSQL is so strange on Windows?

Hmm.  I'd expect that to cause a crash-and-restart cycle, just like a
SIGQUIT would cause a crash-and-restart cycle on Linux.  But I would
expect the server to end up running again at the end, not stopped.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company