Re: Commit 86dc90056 - Rework planning and execution of UPDATE and DELETE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Commit 86dc90056 - Rework planning and execution of UPDATE and DELETE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 12:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Au contraire.  The reason that mode exists at all (for varlena types)
> is to support data types that haven't been updated for TOAST.  Perhaps
> that's now the empty set, but it's not really our job to take away the
> capability.  If you really want MAIN you should say that, not quibble
> that PLAIN doesn't mean what it's always been understood to mean.

This kind of begs the question of whether you have the right idea
about what PLAIN has always been understood to mean, and whether
everyone understands it the same way. I formed my understanding of
what PLAIN is understood to mean by reading the ALTER TABLE .. SET
STORAGE documentation, and there's no real hint in there that this is
some kind of backward-compatibility only feature. Rather, I read that
paragraph to suggest that you can choose between the four options as a
way of getting best performance. Both external storage and compression
are trade-offs: they make the tuples smaller, which can be good for
performance, but they also make the toasted columns more expensive to
access, which can be bad for performance. It seems completely
reasonable to suppose that some workloads may benefit from a
non-default TOAST strategy; e.g. if you often access only a few
columns but scan a lot of rows, toasting wins; if you typically access
every column but only a few rows via an index scan, not toasting wins.
And if that is your idea about what the feature does - an idea that
seems perfectly defensible given what the documentation says about
this - then I think it's going to be surprising to find that it also
inhibits 1-byte headers from being used. But, IDK, maybe nobody will
care (or maybe I'm the only one who will be surprised).

Perhaps this whole area needs a broader rethink at some point. I'm
inclined to think that compatibility with varlena data types that
haven't been updated since PostgreSQL 8.3 came out is almost a
non-goal and maybe we ought to just kick such data types and the
associated code paths to the curb. It's unlikely that they get much
testing. On the other hand, perhaps we'd like to have more control
over the decision to compress or store externally than we have
currently. I think if I were designing this from scratch, I'd want one
switch for whether it's OK to compress, with values meaning "yes,"
"no," and "only if stored externally," a second switch for the
*length* at which external storage should be used (so that I can push
out rarely-used columns at lower size thresholds and commonly-used
ones at higher thresholds), and a third for what should happen if we
do the stuff allowed by the first two switches and the tuple still
doesn't fit, with value meaning "fail" and "externalize anyway".

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com