Re: pgsql: Add support for building with ZSTD. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pgsql: Add support for building with ZSTD.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 1:19 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 06:53:10PM +0000, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Add support for building with ZSTD.
> >
> > This commit doesn't actually add anything that uses ZSTD; that will be
> > done separately. It just puts the basic infrastructure into place.
> >
> > Jeevan Ladhe, Robert Haas, and Michael Paquier. Reviewed by Justin
> > Pryzby and Andres Freund.
>
> I completely forgot that the section of the docs dedicated to the TAP
> tests with MSVC also needs a refresh to mention the new variable ZSTD,
> as of the attached.  Do you mind if I apply that?

No issues at all with you adjusting this, but I think that sentence
reads a little awkwardly. Perhaps instead of "The default is
<literal>zstd</literal>, that would be the command found in
<varname>PATH</varname>." you could write something like "The default
is <literal>zstd</literal>, which will search for a command by that
name in the configured <varname>PATH</varname>." Or maybe something
else is better, not sure exactly, your version just seems a little odd
to me.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com